Beerburrum Quarry expansion proposal

A local resident, Aziz Marley, contacted HT concerned about the proposal for the expansion of the Beerburrum Quarry.

Aziz said he was unaware of the 40-year-old quarry as it is wasn’t active and is surrounded by forestry plantations; he reports it was not identified through regular searches for purchasing properties by local residents.

He says the Beerburrum town hall meeting on July 20 2017 was poorly attended, as many people didn’t get the letter until after the meeting.

“I bought peace and tranquillity, not having a quarry. Won’t it devalue my property? Why did Council allow development to happen so close to a quarry?”

He is worried about the quarry’s close proximity to Mt Beerburrum and that decision-makers don’t live in the area. “There are only 400 people living in Beerburrum – it won’t increase the business, just traffic.”

Barro Group Queensland General Manager, Ian Ridoutt, stated there were 12 houses in the 1200m range, and the total site of the proposal was for 23 hectares.

The group applied for tender in late 2014 and applied to council in November 2016.

Since then they have conducted investigations into traffic, pavement impact analysis, cultural heritage, stormwater, bushfire,  ecology, vulnerable and endangered species and more.

They plan to include Caretaker premises, which Mr Ridoutt hopes will reduce the risk of bushfires and illegal activities (cars have been dumped and torched there). He also explains that blasting will be less frequent and not happening every day.

He says quarry products are used for local infrastructure – housing, roads, schools – all for the benefit of the community.

MP Andrew Powell has told residents, “Whilst the ultimate decision resides with Council, you (and other residents) have rightly identified that probably the most significant impact will be truck movements.

“Normally the State Government agencies, including the Department of Transport and Main Roads, are consulted by the Sunshine Coast Regional Council when making these decisions and I would assume this is occurring.

“I have taken the additional step of writing on your behalf to Minister Miles, the Acting Minister for Main Roads, to ensure he and his department are being consulted and that the community’s views are being considered, and continue to represent your concerns with Council.”

Submissions were open for or against the development from July 6 to 27. Council will be reviewing the submissions and a decision is likely to be made by the end of August.

One Response
  1. Dale Kevin